Inside Out is a 2015 computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It was directed by Pete Docter and stars the voices of Amy Poehler, Phillis Smith, Richard Kind, Lewis Black, Bill Hader, Mindy Kaling, Kaitlyn Dias, Diane Lane, and Kyle MacLachlan. The film is set in the mind of a young girl named Riley, where five personified emotions - Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust - try to lead her through life as she and her parents adjust to their new surroundings after moving from Minnesota to San Francisco.
- Where do you connect with this movie emotionally? Are there any characters or situations that resonate with you?
- What do you think about sadness being a necessary part of life? How have you seen sadness develop you as an individual?
- Where in your own life do you see the importance of the connection between sadness and joy?
- Riley's transition from Minnesota to San Francisco is pretty traumatic for her. Do you have an experience you've gone through that feels similar?
- One of the big themes of the movie seems to be avoiding any emotion that we would label as negative. What is the cost of avoiding emotions like sadness? What can be gained by allowing ourselves to feel and experience all emotions?
- Expressing emotions like sadness and fear can be difficult. What gets in the way of vulnerability and really expressing what we're feeling inside?
Here's a link to a printable pdf.